"My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms in the vineyards of En Gedi." ~Song of Songs 1:14

En Gedi is a lush oasis in Israel where henna is grown. En Gedi Henna is my own little oasis in the blogosphere where I can share my love of henna, and all things beautiful, with you!







Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Process...

   Henna is a plant commonly found in Northern Africa, the Middle East and parts of Asia. It's flowers are pleasingly fragrant, and the leaf contains a natural dye. The leaf of the plant is ground into a powder and combined with an acidic liquid such as lemon juice to further break down the plant matter. An essential oil is then added to help release the dye. I use cardamom.  LOVE it!  (It reminds me of my grandmother's Swedish bread  ...I know, I'm getting off track!)  Coffee, tea, cinnamon, or other ingredients may also be added. Some say this gives you a darker dye, I can't say for sure, but I add it anyway!  This added concoction is called a "Witches Brew".  After the mixture has had time to "rest" it can then be applied to the skin using a cone or bottle in the same manner one would decorate a cake.

Summer Feet!  Some examples of quick
festival work.

At a festival last summer, a client requested this.  Her
husband calls her "Sweet P."!  Awww!

This was my neighbor in the booth next to me. 
Fantastic artist!!  By day he is a baker.  Due to
the thousands of pumpkin pies he makes each fall
the guys in his bakery call him the "Pumpkin King"!
I had to fit this in.  He already had a sleeve full of
impressive ink.
   I make my own henna paste.  I find that the quality of henna is much better than ready made paste.  I personally like to use the cellophane cone method.  I know others prefer a jac bottle.  Just preference. 
   The longer the paste is left on the skin, the darker the dye. It takes approximately 1/2 an hour to dry to the touch.  This means that while it's drying you have to sit still!!  This is a good thing.  Relax, enjoy the experience.  (A smudged henna design cannot easily be fixed, if at all!)  The dried paste may be misted with a sugar, water mixture to keep the "dying" process going.  The longer the wet paste is left on the skin, the darker the stain.  I tend to be impatient and just let it dry~I still get a nice, dark, long lasting stain!  I then spray it with a "fixative", (trade secret!  ...okay, it's Herbal Essence Spray Gel!!) once sprayed, I go to bed.  The paste will tend to flake off over night.  When it's dried, it can be scraped off. You can use a butter knife, credit card, fingernails work too!  The stain can last up to one month. Palms of hands and soles of feet stain the darkest as the skin is thickest here. The henna is staining your dead skin cells, so lose the loofah in the shower!  Henna is a natural sunscreen, so if your henna tattoo is exposed to the sun you will have a "Henna Tan". It's the gift that keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment